Articles that support the thesis that, if you SING DAILY, you will be a little bit happier. Maybe a lot happier? In any case, read on for more info.
- The Power of Music: How Music Creates Joy and Relieves Stress– J.W. Pepper
- How Singing Affects Your Brain – Six Reasons To Sing (Spinditty)
- How Singing Changes The Brain – TEDx Melbourne
- 10 Reasons to Make Singing Your Happiness Drug
- What Happens to Your Brain When You Sing (YouTube Video)
- Singing to Children May Help Development of Language Skills
- From The Barbershop Harmony Society: The Health Benefits of Singing
- “Music engages many parts of our brains”: Singing With My Grandbaby from The New York Times (8/15/18) (Thanks to Katherine Braun for sharing).
- “Music engages many parts of our brains”: Singing With My Grandbaby from The New York Times (8/15/18) (Thanks to Katherine Bruan for sharing).
- “Singing in a choir may be the ‘new exercise’” from CNBC by Daniel Pink
- “The music ‘has an effect on mind and heart,” he said, adding, ‘It makes for a happy life.'” from “Singing Their Way Through Retirement” from the NYTimes Special Retirement section Sunday, 2/25/18
- 11 Surprising Health Benefits of Singing
- “Choir Choir Choir” sings “Because The Night” with an audience on TedX
- “Singing Show Tunes Helps Fight Dementia” from The Daily News
- “Music and Emotion” from Wikipedia
- “Francisco Nunez is Changing Lives Through Singing” from The Harmonizer
- INSPIRED TO SING – Why are Vocal Warm-Ups Important?
- “Music As The Brain’s Universal Language”
- Why Does Music Make Us Feel? from Scientific American.
- “Happy Songs That Will Instantly Put You In A Good Mood”
HOW TO SING IN TUNE! Check out this 1.26.20 article from The New York Times’ Malia Wollan.
AND, did you know…Singing to children may help development of language skills??
ARTICLES used in Just Add Music (to make school Positive, Engaging & Relevant):
- “Music Develops Children’s Social and Emotional Skills” from “Raising Small Souls”
- “Music and Learning: Integrating Music in the Classroom” by Chris Boyd Brewer
- “Keeping Music Alive” by Bonnie Baer-Simahk
- “8 Ways To Use Music In The Language Arts Classroom” by Heather Wolpert Gawron
- “Different Drummers: Using Music To Teach History” by Alex Zukas
- “Teaching: Just Like Performing Magic” (a discussion with Teller of Penn & Teller) by Jessica Lahey in The Atlantic
- “Teachers Urged to Mix it Up and Use Novelty to Engage Students” by Caralee Adams in Education Week
- Reset Your Tired, Tense Voice Like Magic from Voice Council Magazine
- Singdaily.com subscriber Maddie suggests you check out this page about “Singing In Theater”. Thanks, Maddie (and please let us know when you’re performing; we’d love to see you)!
GUITAR CHORDS & LYRIC SITES
- GUNTHER ANDERSON Lyrics and guitar chords
- Tons of great folk songs: Beth’s Notes
- Guitar Chords to many songs: www.bettyloumusic.com
WANT TO BE IN A BAND? Check out the Westport Gig Center.
- Thoughts on Practicing (two of my favorite videos)
- Sing Books With Emily
- KARAOKE! KaraFun Listen and subscribe on YouTube, view on their website or download their app to your phone.
- Listen and Read Along (click on songs) This website is run by the US State Department for students learning English as a second language. I expected the music on the song lyric videos to be created with a synthesizer but, surprise, they are beautifully performed and right up my alley!