In Kindergarten Music Class we sing, dance, play, create, listen, read and think about (analyze) music.
We start every class with a WARM-UP.
We learn how to SING using our singing voices (instead of our shouting, whispering or speaking voices);
We learn to MATCH PITCH while singing (we practice listening to ourselves & others);
We learn to keep a STEADY BEAT (silently and loudly, while tapping, clapping, dancing, playing, moving and singing).
We also learn how to READ RHYTHMS: quarter notes (ta), paired eighth notes (ti-ti) and quarter rests (sh!) using Mrs. Propp’s favorite Heart Chart;
We PLAY rhythm patterns on pitched & unpitched percussion in the music room and at home using spoons, sticks or body parts (hands, knees, feet)
We LISTEN to music from different cultures.
We DANCE to music from different cultures.
Some of our favorite Kindergarten songs include:
- “I’m So Glad To Be Here”
- “Kye Kye Kule”
- “All I Really Need” (written by Raffi & performed here by The Amidons)
- “Apple, Apple, Yum, Yum” (Lyrics Only) + “Apple, Apple, Yum, Yum” (Lyrics & Motions) (by Mrs. Propp)
- “Five Fat Turkeys”
- “We Are Truly Thankful”
- “You Are My Sunshine” (by Jimmie Davis & Charles Mitchell, sung here by Christina Perri)
- “A – You’re Adorable” (by Sid Lippman, Buddy Kaye & Fred Wise and sung here by Mrs. Propp)
- “Make New Friends” (the Hip-Hop Version)
- “We Are Scary Skeletons”
- “Hoot Owls”
- “Sing About Martin” (by Miss Jackie Weissman)
- “Magic Penny” (by Malvina Reynolds)
- “Singing In The Rain” (by Arthur Freed & Nacio Herb Brown)
- “Puff The Magic Dragon” (by Peter Yarrow & Lenny Lipton)
- “This Land Is Your Land” (by Woody Guthrie)
- “Count On Me” (by Bruno Mars)
- “Everybody” (by Ingrid Michaelson)