This is a work-in-progress; thanks for your patience!
In 1st Grade Music Class we review everything we learned in Kindergarten Music Class. We sing, dance, play, create, listen, read and think about (analyze) music.
We start every class with a WARM-UP.
We SING using our singing voices (instead of our shouting, whispering or speaking voices);
We work on MATCHING PITCH while singing (we practice listening to ourselves & others);
We practice keeping a STEADY BEAT (silently and loudly, while tapping, clapping, dancing, playing, moving and singing).
We practice READING RHYTHMS: quarter notes (ta), paired eighth notes (ti-ti) and quarter rests (sh!) and we learn half notes (too-oo).
We PLAY rhythm patterns on pitched & unpitched percussion in the music room and at home using spoons, sticks or body parts (hands, knees, feet)
We LISTEN to music from different cultures.
We DANCE to music from different cultures.
We learn about INSTRUMENT FAMILIES of the Symphony Orchestra.
Some of our favorite 1st Grade songs include:
- “I’m So Glad To Be Here”
- “The Opposite Song”
- “All I Really Need” (written by Raffi & performed here by The Amidons)
- “We Are Truly Thankful”
- “You Are My Sunshine” (by Jimmie Davis & Charles Mitchell, sung here by Christina Perri)
- “A – You’re Adorable” (by Sid Lippman, Buddy Kaye & Fred Wise and sung here by Mrs. Propp)
- “The Orchestra Song”
- Benjamin Britten’s “Young Person’s Guide To The Orchestra”
- “Peter and The Wolf”
- “Make New Friends” (the Hip-Hop Version)
- “Sing About Martin” (by Miss Jackie Weissman)
- “Singing In The Rain” (by Arthur Freed & Nacio Herb Brown)
- “Puff The Magic Dragon” (by Peter Yarrow & Lenny Lipton)
- “This Land Is Your Land” (by Woody Guthrie)
- “Count On Me” (by Bruno Mars)
- “Everybody” (by Ingrid Michaelson)
- Class Play: “Chicken Licken”
- Games: Lucy Locket, Button You Must Wander