Mrs. Propp’s Vocal Warm-Ups
Want a song each day in your inbox? Sign-up for the singdaily.com “SONG OF THE DAY” daily e-mail.
(A little STRETCHING every day is good for you, too!)
- Start by standing up, feet shoulder-width apart, both feet flat on the floor;
- stretch both hands to the ceiling;
- open your hands, close your hands;
- take a deep breath in through your nose and let it out while bending down to touch your toes;
- come up slowly counting to 8 and leading with the back of your neck
- repeat stretch, breathe and bend;
- put one hand flat on your belly (pinky in belly button and thumb pointing up so you can feel your muscles) and one hand flat on your back;
- practice making “shoosh”-ing sounds (e.g. “sh! sh! sh-sh! sh!”)
- try doing 3 siren sounds with your mouth in the shape of an “O” (pretend you are an ambulance or fire engine);
- open your mouth as wide as you can;
- show your teeth, lips and tongue;
- try lip trills;
- try tongue trills.
- try singing scales (one note at a time going up and down) on “ee” and bouncing the notes.
NEED TO BE CONVINCED THAT WARMING UP IS A GOOD IDEA? CHECK OUT THESE WEBSITES & ARTICLES: